Friday, March 12, 2010

have a nice break everyone.

At first I thought the purpose was to bore me to death about how writing is some much more than just putting some words on paper. I really was getting annoyed with all the depth style and memiors have in writing. The whole show don't tell mantra seems to have left her behind for better material that doesn't bore the likes of me. She wrote 9 pages on almost nothing.

That last paragraph helps me understand that writing doesn't require much depth. That it can be boring. Being from Fridley is like gives you as much merit as a women that thinks memoirs are important. The good news is I can relate to this boy. I usually get to a point where I can't write about a topic or I think that if I do, it will be boring beyond belief. But with this story from Patricia Hmpl I have learned that boring beyond belief is acceptable. But I think I will try to my best to give my writing a boost, even though I know I'm not much better at that than Patricia Hmpl herself.

1 comment:

  1. Its interesting that you thought that her purpose was to show that writing can be boring. I got the opposite out of Hampl's piece. To me Hampl was trying to prove that description and word choice can make a piece more interesting by adding style and making you feel like what your reading is a conversation you would have with the author. I do agree though that her essay was a little long, but maybe she did that to prove a point. Maybe Hampl was trying to prove that with description you can make writing as long as you want. The paragraph's at the end, to me, showed that using description you can write about anything. Not necessarily that boring is acceptable. People don't really like reading boing. Also, I don't think that your writing is boring. From reading your blogs you show a lot of personal style which is far from boring, it adds personality.

    ReplyDelete