Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hitchhiking

There is less hitchhiking now than there ever was. Probably because it is easier to get a car. You can buy a $500 car that runs and $500 dollars is 4 weeks at McDonalds. Also, I think people are more self sufficient these days. Partly because it is easy to get enough money to do things, and because over time people have just started doing things themselves rather than getting help from others. If someone needs to get somewhere, they get help from friends or they get there on their own power.

Is it beneficial to those in need or too dangerous? It's not dangerous, so I guess it is beneficial to those in need. Today there are just less people in need of a ride.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you use examples of what people can do with money in regards to helping themselves out, especially since some things are cheap in today's society. However, not all people have access to money or can't even earn that much. Moving on to self-sufficiency, I agree that many people want to be independent and not have to rely on others. Many of us are doing that in college right now, whether it be paying your entire tuition or just living on your own. Personally, I want to be more self-sufficient and I tend to not ask for help even when I may need it or if I'm unsure about something. Still, there are those out there who are willing to help people out.

    There are, in my opinion, less people on the streets hitchhiking. Self-sufficiency may play a part in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought of the need of hitchhiking going down being the reason for less hitchhiking occuring. To me it just seemed like society has higher known crime rates so people are more hesitant to hitchhike or pick up a hitchhiker. But, I do think that you have a pretty good point. Bus systems are also a pretty cheap way that people can get around without having to hitchhike. There also seems like more options such as the max train, cheap cars, buses, etc. I think that both self-sufficiency and increased danger play a part in the lower hitchhiking rates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitchhiking doesn't seem to be as big anymore, and about the only time I see anyone trying to get a ride is coming home or going up to the mountain to snowboard. Sometimes you'd see people standing close to the highway but nowadays its just the typical homeless person doing that. Kristen I think alternative ways of transportation has made a huge difference as well, and just basic evolution of life has changed the way people do things.

    ReplyDelete