Friday, February 12, 2010

Rhetoric devises

I hate ethos. I usually just don't even try. I think Logos is pretty easy to do just by getting some quotes. In my opinion the only way to make a paper interesting is by using Pathos. So it is the best. Ethos and Logos only show up a few times in your paper. Everything inbetween is Pathos and it gives your paper an identity. If that is the best way to put it. Pathos is how you write your paper. That whole thing with second person in the story about rape. That is how the author wrote it. The ehtos and logos were hard to find, but her paper had an impact on you because of the way she wrote it.

As for Krakauer. He uses the words of others to prove his point about Chris. So that would be logos and ethos. Logos because they are quotes. Ethos because you can see that he went all along the trail that Chris took to the end to find what was going through his head.

3 comments:

  1. Graham, I totally agree on your view of Pathos. Emotion really hits home when you put it in the right context, as in the rape story. That story was written as if you were right there in the story. At least in my opinion, effective essays or writing uses ethos.

    Good views on Krakauer. I said specifically ethos because I thought that was used the most, but there is a strong case of Logos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you, Pathos is very strong in a paper. The rape story kept me reading the whole time, and the choice of using second person was definitely key. A lot of ethos in Krakauer's writing but he had to be credible to make his book as good as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with the fact the pathos is a very powerful rhetorical strategy, and sometimes the most powerful. A big part of it depends on what type of story the author is writing and what audience it is for. There are different situations where each ethos, pathos or logos could be the most crucial rhetorical strategy.

    I commented on one of the other blogs, but I don't remember which one, about your view on Krakauer using logos and ethos the most but I might as well write it here too. I agree that both are present but pathos is present in each of those strategies and on its own, especially through the stories told by people Chris met. For this I think that pathos is the strategy mostly used.

    ReplyDelete